Vegan Lemon Drizzle Cake
⦁ 150g/5½oz dairy-free ⦁ margarine, plus extra for greasing
⦁ 175g/6oz ⦁ caster sugar
⦁ 200g/7oz ⦁ plain flour
⦁ 2 tsp ⦁ baking powder
⦁ ½ tsp ⦁ bicarbonate of soda
⦁ 50g/1¾oz ⦁ ground almonds
⦁ pinch salt
⦁ 150ml/5fl oz ⦁ soya milk
⦁ 3 unwaxed ⦁ lemons, zest finely grated from 2, juice from 3
⦁ 4 tbsp granulated ⦁ sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/Gas 4.
2. Grease 1 x 20cm/8in round cake tin and line the base with a disc of baking paper.
3. Spoon the dairy-free margarine and caster sugar into a mixing bowl (or bowl of a free-standing mixer). Sift in the plain flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, ground almonds and a pinch of salt.
4. Add the soya milk, lemon zest and juice from one lemon. Beat well until the ingredients are thoroughly combined and the mixture is smooth.
5. Quickly spoon the cake mix into the prepared tin, spread level with the back of a spoon and bake on the middle shelf of the preheated oven for 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes.
6. Sit the cake tin on a cooling rack and leave for 5 minutes.
7. Meanwhile, combine the juice from the remaining lemons with the granulated sugar and carefully and evenly spoon over the top of the cake.
8. Leave the cake until completely cold before removing from the tin and serving.